Methodist Home for Children and the state of North Carolina have these basic requirements for adoption:
- You can be single or married for a minimum of two years.
- You must be at least 25 years old; at least one applicant in a couple must be 25 to 48 years old.
- You must have a minimum combined annual income of $50,000.
- You must complete a home study (regardless of the type of adoption you choose).
- This is a written report by an adoptive agency social worker who has met face-to-face with you, both individually and together (if a couple) three or more times; at least one meeting must take place in your home.
The process can take three to four months, and includes these steps:
- Information gathering
- Mutual assessment: a process to help you decide if adoption is right for you and what type of child might be best for your family.