GENERAL JOB SUMMARY
As part of a growing development team, this candidate will coordinate fund development activities for the Methodist Home for Children in Western NC, specifically in the Triad/Asheville communities. Must be an independent self-starter with the creativity and talent for develop philanthropic giving and building a community network of supporters. Responsibilities include individual, church, corporate and foundation donor cultivation and solicitation, special event management, public speaking, and proposal writing.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop short and long-range fund development plans that support MHC’s values and mission. Provide energetic leadership to MHC’s greater fund development plan through direct solicitations and cultivation of annual and major gifts.
- Identify existing and new donors/prospects capable of making significant gifts to MHC. Develop strategies and implement programs to build the interest and engagement of annual and major donors. Schedule one-on-one meetings with donors/prospects and provide call reports and timely follow-up.
- Develop, manage and grow a diverse portfolio of individual, church, corporate, and foundation donors.
- Coordinate and support special awareness, cultivation, and engagement events for donors, church groups, businesses, and other MHC constituencies in the region. This includes public speaking about the mission and programs of MHC with corporate, church and community groups.
- Recruit and develop “charity of choice” partners where churches, organizations, and community groups select MHC to be the beneficiary of their fundraising / charitable giving efforts.
- Meet fundraising annual goals.
- Perform other related duties as requested by Vice President of Institutional Advancement.
Knowledge and Experience
Strong and demonstrated knowledge of philanthropic principles and applications. Demonstrated excellence in nonprofit fund development, relationship management and donor cultivation. Candidate must have demonstrated success in personally cultivating, soliciting and stewarding annual and major gifts and experience in executing a target-focused philanthropy plan. Strong background in entrepreneurial/pipeline building/development of donor base, time-management, planning, motivational, leadership and organizational skills. Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university required with at least three to five years of professional fundraising experience. Non-profit certification desired
- Strong communication and relationship building skills, excellent writing communication, public speaking/telephone skills, and organizational skills are essential.
- Must be a self-motivated, results-oriented individual who works independently, without the need for day-to-day supervision.
- Computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Proficient in donor analysis, experience with data collecting, recording and reporting. DonorPerfect experience and moves management a plus.
- Must maintain a valid Driver’s License, reliable transportation and acceptable driving record.
- Must be insurable by Methodist Home for Children’s insurance carrier.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including some nights and weekends.
- Possible exposure to infectious diseases.
- Must provide a negative drug screen result prior to employment.
- Have the ability to comprehend and produce accurate program documentation, including, but not limited to, donor documentation and community correspondence.
- Have the ability to communicate professionally in both verbal and written formats with supporters, including, but not limited to, donors, corporations, foundations, churches, colleagues, and community service providers.
- Have the ability to work independently as well as work with a team and adapt to diverse work environments.
- Have the ability to participate in extensive travel.
Closing Date: Open Until Filled